Sous Chef- Funkatorium
As a key member of the Wicked Weed Brewing management team, the Sous Chef is responsible for personnel management, motivation, development and coaching, food safety and customer satisfaction. This position requires the ability to manage a large staff effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced restaurant/pub environment. As well as managing a fine dining experience and standards for Cultura.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with daily orders and ensuring the kitchen has the products needed to function
- Ensures quality of product through all steps of receiving, preparation, and service
- Helps to control food and labor costs; cuts labor as needed
- Ensures the staff is working efficiently
- Collaborates with the Executive Chef on seasonal menu changes
- Sources products for new menu items and specials
- Investigates new vendors; price comparisons between existing vendors
- Assists in writing recipes and beta-testing new menu items
- Keeps the kitchen recipe book up to date
- Assists the Executive Chef with FOH Menu Classes
- Oversees the execution of daily prep/mise en place; establishes quality standards
- Addresses staff questions and concerns
- Works the line as needed; being proficient in all stations
- Prepares soups and specials; butchery of proteins
- Oversees general lunch and/or dinner service
- Solves problems on the fly (staffing, mise en place, equipment, etc.)
- Expedites dinner service several nights a week
- Acts on the Executive Chef’s behalf in their absence
- Upholds food safety standards at all times
- Acts as a liaison between FOH and BOH staff
- Maintains clean and organized work area.
- Promote an atmosphere of cooperation and teamwork within the company and continually improves proficiency, knowledge and morale of all employees.
- Attends and presents at daily lineups, department and company meetings.
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
Qualifications – External
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and love for food and craft beer
- Must possess good communication skills for dealing with diverse staff
- The ideal candidate should have self-discipline and the ability to take initiative
- Strong leadership skills are critical
- Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to lead and motivate team members
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent 4 years of experience preferred
- The work environment is usually that of a high-stress, fast-paced restaurant.
- The employee frequently must work in a sanitary environment.
- The employee regularly works around high voltage, flame, hot liquids, and steam.
- The employee frequently must work in an environment with a moderate to high noise level.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The ability and aptitude to work with and troubleshoot equipment.
- Some physical strength and agility necessary.
- Positive outlook and attitude.
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self-motivated with good time management skills.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the organization.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notic