Tall John’s is hiring a Sous Chef. This is a full-time, salaried position with comprehensive benefits (medical, life, paid time off, staff meal, discounts) and a defined bonus structure. Tall John’s is located in the Montford neighborhood in Asheville, NC.
The Sous Chef reports directly to the General Manager (GM) and Executive Chef (EC).
The Sous Chef has extraordinary attention to detail, exacting focus, and strong kitchen management experience. The Sous Chef works with the Executive Chef to lead daily kitchen operations, uphold standards of service, and advance the goals set forth by the management team. The Sous Chef is a primary resource for BOH employees, an effective and efficient communicator, and a consistent, composed member of the BOH team. The Sous Chef assists the Executive Chef across the scope of their duties, allowing the Executive Chef to most efficiently lead the BOH operations. This role requires dedication, passion, creativity, and the ability to persevere through challenging services.
- Assist operations alongside the Executive Chef, and lead operations in the Executive Chef’s absence.
- Model and encourage best practices: earnestness, kindness, dedication, thoroughness, efficiency, humility, enthusiasm, curiosity, and proficiency.
- Communicate clearly, earnestly, and appropriately.
- Assist the management team to create, maintain, and grow an enjoyable, profitable, clean, safe, and welcoming restaurant for team members.
- Manage daily kitchen operations including, but not limited to:
- Support the running and management of the food program eg: scheduling, ordering, training, quality control and consistency.
- Act as a mentor for all BOH staff, assisting in their training and development.
- Demonstrate the ability to work and lead in a team-driven environment, taking and giving direction effectively.
- Have a depth of knowledge and general passion for all aspects of cooking: sourcing of ingredients, cooking techniques, setting up stations, etc.
- Audit all kitchen areas and staff for compliance with health code.
- Willingness to learn new recipes
- Fluent with computer basics (spreadsheets, Google Docs, Drive, etc.)
- Recognize and encourage successes by the team with enthusiasm and specificity.
- Correct and rectify missteps by the team in an efficient, kind, and direct manner.
- Assist Executive Chef in making personnel decisions and actions, including hiring, termination, training, scheduling, promotion, etc. Maintain a complete understanding of staffing needs, obstacles, etc.
- Attend and participate in management team meetings. Assist Executive Chef in preparation for management team meetings.
- Assist Executive Chef in analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs) and creating structures and strategies to meet and exceed KPI-based goals.
- Present a unified and honest voice, representing the goals of the management team.
- Ensure clear communication on all matters with the Executive Chef.
50-55 hours per week. Generally 5 days per week, one day not working service.
- Quarterly check-in with Executive Chef.
- Annual performance and salary review with GM and Executive Chef.
- Executive Chef.
- Cost of Goods Sold and Labor numbers
- agreed-upon KPIs (cost of goods sold [COGS], labor percentages, operating expenses, etc. all as compared to budget)
- Management of pars for food and disposables
- $52,000+ annual salary
- Annual salary reviews with opportunities for discretionary and non-discretionary bonuses (based on agreed-upon KPIs)
- Comprehensive Medical Benefits, including enrollment in Direct Primary Care (through Integrative Family Medicine here in Asheville), Medical Cost Sharing (through Sedera), Dental, and Vision. Mental health care is a work in progress. Available after 60 days of employment.
- Life insurance. Available after 60 days of employment.
- PTO. Available after 60 days of employment.
- Daily staff meal.
- Discounts on food and merchandise.
Please send your resume to email@example.com